Colchester reject Bournemouth bid for Wordsworth
Bournemouth's attempts to sign Anthony Wordsworth have been spurned, at least for now.
John Ward has said that the offer has been rejected and the Colchester manager is not expecting an improved offer, as our friends at Vital Bournemouth tell us with DJ writing:
AFC Bournemouth's bid for Colchester United midfielder Anthony Wordsworth has been rejected by the League One side.
It had been reported that the Cherries had made a bid for the midfielder on Thursday, the same day that reports of bids for Crawley striker Matt Tubbs, Wycombe forward Stuart Beavon and Brighton striker Will Hoskins had all been unsuccessful.
23 year old Wordsworth who is a product of the Colchester youth set up, can play anywhere across the midfield, is known as a set piece specialist and has scored 9 goals in 28 appearances for the League One club so far this season.
He played the full 90 minutes against Leyton Orient today (Saturday), helping his side to a 1-0 win and after the game Colchester manager John Ward told the East Anglian Daily Times...
"We have turned down a bid from Bournemouth for Anthony, and we don't expect them to come back, We have told Bournemouth that he is not going at that figure, and I don't think they have got a bigger figure to come back with..."
"...He's a good professional, and I sat with him on Friday morning and explained the whole situation to him.
"He's put his boots on today and put in a great shift for the team, and for this football club. There was no sulking or throwing dummies out of the pram..."
Read the full article: Cherries Wordsworth bid rejected.
Ward has since spoken about his determination to hold onto the midfielder, if The U's can manage this will be known in a little over 24-hours time.
Instead of just viewing, why not login (or register as a new member) as well and leave some thoughts on this issue below...