Writer: Colchester Dan
Date:Friday January 25 2013
Joe Dunne has managed to add some much-needed experience to his squad with the addition of 32-year-old David Wright, who has had his contract cancelled at Crystal Palace in order to join up with the U's.
Wright, who can play at either full-back or as a holding midfielder, has amassed nearly five-hundred senior appearances in his career, with almost three-hundred of those coming in the top two divisions of English football, as well as commanding £700,000 of transfer fees.
The defensive midfielder told the official website that he was pleased to have joined the U's, having played six games this season on loan at Gillingham.
'It's been a tough year being in and out of the Palace side,' he admitted. 'I had a really good time at Gillingham for a month, but I went back to Palace and was still not playing.
'I finally got a call off of the gaffer [Joe Dunne] and got something sorted out so I'm over the moon.
'I think the manager wanted someone experienced to sit and guide the younger boys and I'm really looking forward to that - it's a really young squad, but also with a lot of quality so hopefully I'll fit in nicely.'
It's only been in more recent years during his time at Selhurst Park that Wright has switched from his more accustomed full back position to one of a holding midfielder, but it was much earlier in his career that the idea was first touted.
He explained: 'Dario [Gradi] told me years ago at Crewe that I'd end up in midfield, but I didn't quite believe him having spent most of my time at full back.
'It was George Burley at Palace who played me in the holding role and I haven't played full back again, so I've been in central midfield for the best part of two and a half years now.'
Wright is certainly well aware of the troubles that currently face the U's but, beginning with tomorrow's game with Walsall at the Weston Homes Community Stadium, he remains confident that the side has the quality to pull clear of danger.
'We're more than capable,' he continued. 'It's a young squad but with lots of quality so I'm looking forward to becoming a part of it.
'My family and kids were settled in the area since my time at Ipswich and we love it here, so we've never moved away and it won't be a big move at all.
'We just need to string a few results togehter and we'll find ourselves moving away from danger.'
Meanwhile, 22-year-old defender Tom Aldred has had his contract mutually cancelled with the U's having failed to make a senior appearance in his two and a half years with the club.
Originally signed by John Ward following his release at Watford, Aldred has played eleven games in loan spells to Barrow and appeared for them yesterday in a development game with Blackburn.
For the latest U's news and views, follow us on Twitter
Date:Friday January 25 2013
Defender Returns As U's Third Signing (Sunday July 5 2015)
U's Easter Changes (Sunday July 5 2015)
The Supporters Summit - Colchester (Friday July 3 2015)
Former Captain Joins Luton (Thursday July 2 2015)
Defender's Contract Cancelled (Thursday July 2 2015)
Fox Isn't Coming Back (Saturday June 27 2015)
Defender Returns Permanently (Saturday June 27 2015)
Colchester Start At The WHCS Against Blackpool (Wednesday June 17 2015)
Capital One Cup - Colchester Home Reading (Tuesday June 16 2015)
Colchester Unseeded In Capital One Cup First Round (Sunday June 14 2015)
|Blackpool Supporters Trust Bid For Club
» Blackpool : 07/07/2015 22:10:01
|Brown Talks Signings amp; Spain Trip
» Southend : 07/07/2015 20:24:00
|Penney Departs Roots Hall - Coughlan To Step Up
» Southend : 07/07/2015 20:17:01
|DRFC New signing out to prove a few people wrong
» Doncaster : 07/07/2015 20:11:01
|City Keeper Backed To Shine
» Coventry : 07/07/2015 20:00:01