2006 - Parky's Cup Heroes
In a week where Phil Parkinson has hit the headlines for his cup exploits once more, it was Parky's U's team making the cup headlines seven years ago as his Layer Road outfit brushed aside Derby County with consummate ease.
With the Rams reeling from a 6-1 defeat at Coventry in their last league outing and the U's flying high in League One, there were all the makings of a cup upset - and Parky's men certainly didn't disappoint.
The U's had already dispatched of one Championship side by winning 2-1 at Sheffield United's Brammall Lane in the Third Round, and welcomed Phil Brown's men in confident mood.
With almost six-thousand packed into Layer Road the U's began the game with pace and, roared on by the home crowd, took the game to Derby, with Mark Yeates only being denied early on by Lee Camp in the visiting goal.
Greg Halford's long ball almost put Richard Garcia in for the U's, but he fired his shot just wide of the Rams' upright.
As the game was closing in on half-time at 0-0, the breakthrough came for Parky's men. Chris Iwelumo nodded down a throw-in for Neil Danns to latch onto the ball and fire the U's in front from inside the penalty area.
It gave the U's another lift heading into the break, and Danns popped up with his thirteenth goal of the season not long afterwards; just seven minutes into the second half, he pounced onto a loose ball and doubled the U's advantage.
Two became three within ten minutes, as Garcia slid into the six-yard box to stab the ball over the line following a parried shot by Camp and the game was all but over.
Tommy Smith may have pulled back a late consolation, but it was Parky's men who would be drawn out to face Chelsea, the eventual winners of their replay with Everton, and a trip to Stamford Bridge in front of the Sky Sports cameras beckoned.Other Notable Events Today:1983
- Saturday's goalscorer, Jabo Ibehre, is born today thirty years ago.1989
- The U's play out a 3-3 thriller at Sheffield United in the FA Cup, going 2-0 up before the break only to find themselves 3-2 down with twenty minutes to go. Steve Hetzke bags the U's third to force a replay.1997
- A solitary goal from Paul Abrahams sees the U's overcome Brentford to face Peterborough in the Auto Windscreens Shield Area Final.1999
- Mick Wadsworth is appointed U's manager in a bid to stave off relegation - he succeeds.2011
- Despite going a goal behind in the opening minute at home to Peterborough, goals from Steven Gillespie and David Mooney seal all three points for the U's.
With thanks to Col U Day By Day
for supplying these dates.For the latest U's news and views, follow us on Twitter